Original caption: Bronze scrolls in situ in G8.
Comment: The two rolls of the Copper Scroll were found in Cave 3Q (=GQ8). The original designation of G8 refers to Team G of the cave expedition of 1952, and their ‘Cave 8’. This team was led by Henri de Contenson of the École Biblique. The two rolls (originally one scroll) were apparently found on a kind of shelf at the back of the front chamber of the collapsed cave, one on top of the other. Reed and others originally assumed that they were made of bronze, but they were confirmed as oxidised copper upon analysis by experts at the British Museum and Johns Hopkins University (see Reed 1954: 12). 3Q contained a large number of jars and lids, some textiles and leather fragments and manuscript fragments (see DJD III: 8).
This picture was published with an attribution crediting Reed in the Biblical Archaeologist 17 (February, 1954), p.1 (cover page). It was published in DJD III, Pl. III:2, with caption: ‘Les rouleaux de cuivre en position dans la grotte 3Q’.