Original caption: From Khirbet Qumran looking west to Wadi Qumran.
Comment: The view is from the tower area over the ruins of Qumran westwards, looking over the western side of the rubble of the building area to the edge of the wadi. The line of the aqueduct may be seen running towards the hills and the Qumran pass. The aqueduct continues up the hills, where it is carved into the cliff. One can see sheep/goats grazing on the right side of the picture. Initial soundings at the site of Qumran had taken place under the direction of Roland de Vaux in 1951, but had not progressed very far. The site was largely a heap of fallen stones.